Of course big events make great memories, but it’s easy to turn everyday activities into memory makers by adding a little something Extra!
I wanted to compile a list (mostly so I don’t forget later) about the Everyday Memory Makers I want to do as a Mom (and Step-mom) to create special moments for our family. Most of these ideas won’t be applicable yet until Malcolm is a little older though. I will also create separate posts for special occasions such as Christmas Traditions, Birthdays, First day of school, etc
Write notes to the kids
In their lunch kits, on the mirror, everywhere. Jokes, silly drawings, inspirational messages, just anything to make them smile
Take the ordinary and make it awesome
- For example Bath Time:
- Use glow sticks for a fun glow in the dark bath!
- Use some bath paints, use (kid safe) bath bombs, blow bubbles.
- Play music and make it a party!
Scavenger hunts & obstacle courses
- Before kids become too cool for this kind of stuff, send them on spy missions. Have them solve clues and cross an obstacle filled hallway (try taping string to the hallway walls to act as “lasers” they have to avoid)
- Picnics in the car, picnics in the backyard, picnics in the park, picnics in the living room. Why is it eating not at the table is so much fun?
- Even if they’re too little for a real sleepover at a friends house yet, sleepovers in the backyard, in the living room, in the siblings room. Make it a whole event with movies, snacks, a tent, the works!
- Bust it out randomly, or create a whole mood with disco lights and glow sticks
- Compile all the pictures and stories from the year into a photo year book for the family. Write a letter to each child every year, document the big events and the everyday.
- If it’s hard for you to sit down and just write (for me it’s keeping up the consistency that I find challenging) try the app Queepsake. It’s a service that texts you different questions and you text back your response and pictures! The questions range from the everyday like “What did you enjoy doing this week?” to more thought provoking “What does Malcolm do to make you feel loved?”. You can make the answers as short or as long as you would like. It automatically compiles the entries and photos into a book. The free service doesn’t have as many features/options as the paid options do. But this digital 5 min journal is such a great idea to preserve the small moments that you might otherwise forget about!
- My parents would take us out for ice cream all the time (especially in the summer, but all throughout the year). It was a chance for us to pile in the car and have some quality family time.
Family Game/Movie Night
- This was something my family didn’t do on a regular basis, but I would see it on tv on all those family sitcoms and be a little jealous. So I would love to be able to do a weekly family fun night.
What other ideas does your family do to make everyday memories?
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER POSTS!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Listen, I know plastic bags are TERRIBLE for the environment. But we’ve all been halfway through shopping at the grocery store when you realize you forgot your reusable bags […]
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. There is nothing that makes a house feel like a home than photos on the walls. We have lived in our house for about a year now, but were […]
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. What are Sensory Bins? Maybe you’ve heard of the newest toddler trend: Sensory bins! If you haven’t, a sensory bin is basically a small clear bin (like these!) with […]
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Copycat Starbucks Peach Green Tea Lemonade Peach Green Tea Lemonade is my favorite summertime drink from Starbucks. But I didn’t want to spend $5 per drink, because I could […]
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Warmer days are here at last! I am so excited to get to spend as much time as possible outdoors with our little guy. After being cooped up indoors […]