How to Make DIY Honey Comb Ornaments
Every year part of our Christmas Traditions are making homemade ornaments. I saw similar ornaments and decorations at Chapters and Anthropologie, but I could not bring myself to pay $30 for a paper tree. So I decided to figure out how to DIY Honey comb ornaments myself!
These first attempts could definitely be cleaned up a little, but I think with a little practice these could be super cute for decorations or gifts. If you have a Cricut machine or some way to streamline the cutting process that might make it even easier and cleaner. Try out my method below and let me know how it goes!
- Cardboard/Card Stock to make your template
- Enough sheets of paper for 60-80 cutouts of your template
- Glue (I used a glue gun, which ended up a little bulky, plain white glue, or glue dots would also work well)
- String/Ribbon (if making an ornament)
- Optional: Magnets
- Choose your shape and make your template
2. Choose your type of paper. The first one I used construction paper, but books, or fancy paper would also work well.
3. Cut out about 60-80 of your template using your paper.
- 4. Begin gluing your shapes together in a stack in the following patter
- 1 line in the middle on one cut out.
- Lay the next cutout on top.
- Then place 2 lines of glue above and below the middle of the cutout.
- Lay the next cutout on top
- Place 1 line of glue in the middle.
- I also alternated colors on the ornament (although I think the color choice I made ended up looking a bit like vaginas-whoops!)
*If your shape is not a basic circle or has multiple curves (like a tree shape), place multiple lines/dots of glue on each of the protrusions/indents. Make sure you alternate the placing of the glue on each layer.
5. Once you have stacked & glued all the cutouts, if you are using magnets glue one to the first piece of paper, and one to the last piece of paper
6. Run some glue up the middle spine of the stack (Mod Podge works well). If you are not using magnets feel free to shape your ornament and glue the first and last piece of papers together (sphere shape). To make it a hanging ornament, place the ribbon/twine/string in the middle of the first and last pieces of paper. If you are using magnets, let the glue dry a little on the spine, but make sure it’s still flexible enough to shape. Then the magnets will allow you to open and close the ornament at will or pack it away easily for next year.
Paint the outer edges of the ornament with glitter/gold/paint!
Try different shapes and styles of paper to really customize your look. I’ve seen snowmen, trees, abstract funky shapes, etc
Let me know if you try it and how it turns out!
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER BLOG POSTS!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Listen, I know plastic bags are TERRIBLE for the environment. But we’ve all been halfway through shopping at the grocery store when you realize you forgot your reusable bags […]
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. There is nothing that makes a house feel like a home than photos on the walls. We have lived in our house for about a year now, but were […]
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. What are Sensory Bins? Maybe you’ve heard of the newest toddler trend: Sensory bins! If you haven’t, a sensory bin is basically a small clear bin (like these!) with […]
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Copycat Starbucks Peach Green Tea Lemonade Peach Green Tea Lemonade is my favorite summertime drink from Starbucks. But I didn’t want to spend $5 per drink, because I could […]
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Warmer days are here at last! I am so excited to get to spend as much time as possible outdoors with our little guy. After being cooped up indoors […]